Monday, June 20, 2011

Blue Valentine

Summary: Cindy (Michelle Williams) and Dean (Ryan Gosling) are going through a loveless marriage and there are flashbacks to their courtship. Dean is a sycophant, but Cindy views him as immature and struggles with her fidelity. Cindy doesn't want to end up like her parents' marriage, and she has a kid by an ex-boyfriend from before Dean.

Review: The acting by Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams was great and the cinematography was excellent as well. The mood was somber and even when they were in the middle of the courtship, the somber mood was still there, but the lighter moments contrasted very nicely. The problem is just a storyline that this author fails to comprehend.

Further Question/Philosophy/Theme: Is Cindy representative of the majority of American women today? What is the magic that Ryan Gosling had in the beginning, and how did it just disappear? Do women enjoy the abuse because that seems to be what Cindy wanted Dean to do "act like a man" and "hit" her.

Power Rating (Out of 5): 3 The acting was superb, but I was a bit confused by the hard to follow storyline of parallel times. Maybe I just don't understand yet.

Favorite Quotes:

Dean: In my experience, the prettier a girl is, the more nuts she is, which makes you insane.
Cindy: I like how you can compliment and insult somebody at the same time, in equal

Dean: I didn't want to be somebody's husband and I didn't want to be somebody's dad, that wasn't my goal in life. But somehow it was. I work so I can do that.

Dean: Do you think I could sit down because all these other seats are taken?

No comments:

Post a Comment